Verses of The Week

I have decided to start a "Verses of The Week" series on my blog. The purposes are simple:

1. More time devoted to studying scripture
2. More time spent to sincere meditation and memorization of the Word
3. More chances to use this blog as a growing outlet for me and a chance to share with others

This week there are two verses that I am spending time on. The first I will share in this post and the next to follow immediately. These are short verses as I am having to work hard on the memorization part, and short out pouring of thoughts that may seem random at times, but I hope that those who read them will be blessed and/or challenged in some way.

Verse 1 - Week of May 10, 2010

"Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another that you may be healed. Elijah was a man, with a nature like ours and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for 3 years and 6 months it did not rain. He prayed again and Heaven gave rain and the earth bore its fruit."
James 5:16-18

Not only confess but pray. Not just to God but with and for one another. I am guilty of neglecting prayer and boasting about all other facets of worship, when prayer is the most intimate and according to these verses, the most powerful. "Elijah was a man" should be enough to convince me of the "God strength" of prayer, but it continues with "with a nature like ours." This is amazing and encouraging as I think that if Elijah, whose prayers stopped the rain on the earth for 3.5 years, had the same sinful nature as me then surely God can speak to, work through and move in the life of a sinner like me. First I must acknowledge the importance, the power and necessity of prayer in my life. Then I must make the effort to communicate daily with Jesus in this most intimate of ways.

Comments

Popular Posts