Faithful In Small Things

I recently recieved an acceptance letter to a Master's degree program that I applied to nearly six months ago. This particular program would have allowed me the privilege of studying under some of the biggest minds in reformed theology. It would have given me more tools to use in the effort to teach reformation in the midst of a complacent Bible Belt culture. It would have done so many wonderful things. Honestly, those wonderful things would have included knowledge that Paul said "puffs up" and would have contributed negatively to my ongoing struggle against pride in my life. It also would have shown a lack of wisdom with regard to the "talents" that the master left me with.



Most of us know the account of the "talents" in Matthew and similar parable in Luke. In the end the master rewards the servants who were the best stewards with the talent. Essentially the master rewarded the servants not for making him more money, but for showing wisdom and good care of the thing they were entrusted to. This is the lesson that I learned while sorting through the process of whether to pursue this degree opportunity. There are many times in a boys life where a father will make all the decisions and even lead his son in making small decisions. However there comes a certain point in time where, despite the son's desire for guidance, the father must say a painful yet wise phrase such as "what do You think you should do son" or "that is something only You can decide." This is not because the father doesnt desire to help, but more because he knows that if the son continues to have his decisions made for him that he will never grow in wisdom. This may mean the wrong decision is made and the consequences may be painful for the son and the father both. Nevertheless the father must rely on the knowledge that "perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete."



At this point in my life my heavenly Father was not going to tell me "yes" or "no" with regards to whether I should embark on this Master's program. He gently said "You decide" which meant that I had to display wisdom. The Lord, my master was giving me the chance to use discernment, to weigh the benefits and the downfalls and to honestly search my motives. That being said, here is what I found.



My life is completely and undeniably blessed beyond anything I could ever earn or deserve. I deserve death and yet Christ saved me. He has blessed me with an incredibly wise and biblical wife that is my best friend and just happens to be gorgeous. He has blessed me and entrusted to me 5 beautiful children whom I must commit to discipling in the ways of the Lord so that they will not depart from them. He has given me the opportunity and the responsibility of leading and discipling both in song and preaching to whole families within our church along with a leadership position that requires that I stay incredibly focused on moving within the will of God. So with this new opportunity arose 2 questions:



1. Am I being a good steward of the things that the Master has given me?



2. Will this new opportunity be stewarded well or will it detract from the things that the Lord has already entrusted me with?



The answers were simply put 1. Yes but I can do more and 2. Yes, but only if I neglect something or someone that I am already entrusted with.



The bottom line came down to this. I could either steward the blessings the Lord has already given me with excellence for His glory or I could add something that seemed "so good" to my plate and achieve less than average stewardship in my entire life. (which strangely would give the illusion that it was for His glory but honestly be all about me) I say that because like I pointed out before, I would need to search my motives. Having to make this decision made me do a gut check and what I found was something dangerous. I realized that what had started as a simple application for a degree had become something that I longed for to please men. Here is my confession. When I received my acceptance letter I was excited for many reasons but the one reason that should have clued me in right away was "If I get this degree and study under these men, then people will start taking me seriously as a pastor, theologian, preacher, teacher (take your pick)." Searching my thoughts and motives found that I longed to be known for more than just "the guy that sings really well" or "the guy with the guitar." This was a dangerous landmine. Dangerous for two reasons. First I had lost focus and actually was aiming to please men and not God. Second, in losing focus I was degrading the blessing of talent the Lord had given me already as if it wasn't enough. A landmine like I said. One that may not have been triggered for years but eventually someone will lose a leg.....or a life.



All in all I know that I made the right decision. I decided to wait on the program and on any schooling at all at this point so that I can steward the blessing the Lord has already given me with such excellence that it brings Him total glory and teaches me to be a better servant. Always aiming to please my Master and not other men.



“One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much." Luke 16:10

Comments

Lordship is putting the Father's will first, and I believe is a more difficult challenge than the blanket approach of repentance meaning that you don't sin. Wisdom is doing what is right, concerning all of the many factors and still choosing the path the Father has for you. I totally see what you mean about having to guard against pride or whatever that would make you value man's opinion over God's, definitely gives me something to pray about for myself.

Popular Posts